Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'author_sidebar' not found or invalid function name in /home/customer/www/havingababyinchina.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 303
Non-Married Foreigner Couples Having Baby in China | Having a Baby in China

Non-Married Foreigner Couples Having Baby in China

Home Forums General Inquiries on Having a Baby in China Non-Married Foreigner Couples Having Baby in China

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • #1350


      My girlfriend and I will be having a baby here in China sometime in November. We are both foreigners of 2 different countries (me-USA & Girlfriend-Philippines), which makes things a little tricky in regards to documentation. Does anyone know if we can have the baby here without being married? I’m not sure how the birth certificate rules are when 2 different countries are involved. Is it possible that the baby have dual citizenship, by us visiting the consulates of each country? I know this conundrum can be avoided, but the girlfriend wants to wait to marry until a later time in the future.

      I look forward to hearing back from anyone who might have a clue about this situation.


      Cheers in China,


    • #1579

      Hello, The Philippine Embassy will require the notarized copies and will hear nothing about reasons. When I had my daughter’s birth certificate notarized, The office did check our passports. The US embassy don’t need notarization but they will require evidence that you are really the father of the baby which is tricky if you are not married. And also, they will require documents that proves you stay in USa for a number of years.

    • #1615

      Gie1128. Please call the Embassy in Shanghai. Tell them about your concern and ask if it’s possible that you can have it notarized in Shanghai. If I am not mistaken it is okay to have it notarized there and they have the address of the notary office in their website. Notary Office in Shanghai have more experience dealing with foreign documents.

    • #1553

      Hey, Gie. You might try going down to the office yourself to try to get it certified. I would together with the fiance and see what you can push through.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General Inquiries on Having a Baby in China’ is closed to new topics and replies.